If you’re an automobile enthusiast who enjoys doing various DIY routine maintenance activities such as changing oil, replacing a rusty floor pan, or fitting a sump guard, then it’s inevitable that you’ll sometimes require to hoist your vehicle off the ground and crawl beneath it to complete some of these tasks. While at it, it’s easy to get tempted to resort to using shortcuts including replacing a jack stand with cinderblocks as most of your fellow DIYs may recommend. However, did you know just how much risk you expose yourself to when you turn to such using such a tact? Indeed, there’s a reason why martial arts experts often pick cinderblocks to break instead of Jack stands; cinderblocks will crush if sudden shock or significant weight is placed on them.
Investing in a stand sounds not difficult, but there are many factors you should consider first. Not absolutely all can support the same quantity of weight, therefore knowing the fat of the automobile you plan on working on is definitely a must. They also come in different shapes and sizes, each with their personal benefits. To help you make the very best decision whenever choosing one that is correct for you, we’ve researched and examined the best-offering products stands available!
- 1 10 Greatest Jack Stands
- 2 Criteria Used in Evaluation
- 3 FAQS
10 Greatest Jack Stands
1. Torin Big Crimson
The objective of these gadgets is to support your vehicle, which weighs thousands of pounds. This means that it will need to be made from a strong a durable material that can withstand all that pressure. These stands are produced from the best quality forged metal and a welded A-frame that delivers greater stability.
Not many people are built the same plus some people might need more area to obtain underneath a vehicle than others. These jack stands feature a self-locking iron ratchet bar that can be modified from 11 ins up to 16.7 inches, making them the ideal tool for mechanics of all sizes.
Cost and Value
This product offers a fantastic price to quality ratio, which means you’re are getting a great quality product for a very low cost. They meet the American Society of Mechanical Engineers safety standards and stand by their product with a one-year warranty.
- Made of forged steel
- Comes as a set of two
- Has a large saddle surface area for an improved connection
- Welded A-frame style
- Some issues about the welding
- No prevent pin
Keeping them and corrosion free is essential in ensuring durability and preventing corrosion which can compromise their longevity. The lead-free paint that is used on these is also grease, oil, and dirt resistance and a long-long lasting finish.
Safety may be the priority whenever dealing with large machinery, and Strongway understands this. They have developed a patented double-lock style that takes benefit of a safety-pin design that ensures the stands stay locked in position and adds extra security and safety.
Cost and Value
These stands are sold as a pair for maximum stability and were stated in ISO certified services. Not merely do they move ASME PALD 2009 requirements, however they were made up of the same systems found in the Motor vehicle EOM sector and Aerospace Technologies.
- Dirt, oil, and grease resistant
- Patented double-locking system
- Self-locking ratchet
- Generous saddle surface area
- Not ideal for low floor cars
- Safety-pin does not lock in place
3. Alltrade Powerbuilt
Any professional will tell you that using a car jack and jack stand together is the safest method to work on your automobile. Alltrade uses innovative technology to mix the two and present an ideal all-in-one tool, helping you save cash and space while still offering all the safety you will need.
Basic safety Bar
A few of the biggest variations between a normal bottle jack and jack stand are the size of the base, which provides stability, and a locking device that ensures that the tool is looked at the desired height. Powerbuilt is designed with an extra-wide steel base and a security bar lock that transforms this jack into a jack stand.
Cost and Worth
Not merely do you spend less and space by obtaining both, but it’s flexible and durable more than enough for any job that will require lifting and support. Its size helps it be very portable by conserving space in your vehicle’s trunk.
- Combines bottle jack and jack stand
- Lifts and supports up to 6000 pounds
- Includes a height selection of up to 21 ins
- Includes a wide steel base
- May be too tall for some vehicles
- Some issues completely dropping after valve can be released
4. Torin Aluminum
Lightweight Light weight aluminum
Unlike steel and iron, aluminium is a lightweight metal that is strong enough to support up to 6000 pounds. The fact that it can break down for storage combined with its light excess weight, these are the ideal portable option.
Large Saddle and Base
When you’re working under your car, you can be sure that there will be some shaking and moving going on. Torin designed their aluminium products to get a larger saddle surface area for better connection with the automobile and a big base for maximum balance.
Cost and Worth
The tubing is constructed of high-grade aluminum, which isn’t only extremely solid, but also meets the American Culture of Mechanical Engineer’s requirements for security. If there are any issues, this company offers a one-year manufacturer warranty to ensure your satisfaction.
- Breaks down into a compact size
- Meets safety requirements set by ASME
- Made of lightweight aluminum
- Removable locking support pin
Short pin chain
If you’re a car collector, then you understand how important it really is to keep your automobile in pristine condition. The detachable rubber saddle pad was made to prevent any nicks or scrapes to the paint superior to the most common curved axle post.
The more surface area your stands cover, the better the balance. Esco uses a simple, yet effective tripod design with circular foundation pads that not only covers more area than the traditional straight options, but also works better on irregular surfaces.
Cost and Value
That is a specialist grade, all-steel item that has a pin lock style that means it is easy for one to use. In addition, it forgoes the original enamel paint end you find on most jack stands for a powdered coating that resists rusting and corrosion.
- Sturdy tripod design
- Simple pin locking system
- Powdered coating
- Removable rubber support pad
- Not sold as pairs
- Some problems about the standard of welding
6. Efficiency Tool
You under no circumstances know whenever a car problem will appear, and unfortunately many of these complications happen while you are on the road. At just under 16 pounds, these are perfect for storing in your trunk for whatever emergency might pop up.
Comes as Pair
What’s better than using a stand to support your vehicle while working? Using two of them supporting your vehicle. Whenever you lift your car and place it on a support system like this, it’s better to have significantly more points of get in touch with for better weight is certainly distributed and for better stability.
Cost and Worth
For a amazingly low cost, you obtain two with dependable construction and adjustable height. Performance Tools is so confident in the quality and build of their product that they even offer a full manufacturer’s warranty.
- Affordable price
- Constructed from heavy-duty steel
- Great for traveling
- Has a warranty
- No extra lock features
- Just raises to 16 ? in .
7. Pro Lift
Counter Weighted Pawls
The product uses a double locking system that provides extra safety when you need it most. The pawls are counter weighted and act as a secure locking device that stops your vehicle from accidentally disengaging.
Ductile Iron Ratchet
Ductile Iron is more flexible and less likely to break when under too much weight, making it a much safer material to work with. The one piece, multi-position ratchet bar also acts as an adjustment mechanism which can be locked at the required height.
Cost and Worth
These double-locking jack stands by Pro Lift not merely meets, but exceeds the Protection Specifications for Portable Automotive Lifting Products and the American National Specifications Institute specifications. They are produced from high-quality metals, however are surprisingly inexpensive.
- Includes a stamped steel bottom
- Can support up to six tons
- One piece ductile iron ratchet
- Double locking system
- They are heavy
- No coating to avoid corrosion or corrosion
8. US Jack
Double Lock Program
Whenever your safety can be involved, US Jack will take no chances. Their garage stands were designed for professional use and features a double lock security design that uses two ratcheting pawls to connect two teeth to the strain bar for extra protection.
It’s an undeniable fact that wider bases are even more stable than narrow bottom stands, and these not merely have a broad base, however they each possess four points of contact with stamped legs that are secured together by a perimeter band that’s welded on.
Cost and Worth
There is nothing even more valuable than your daily life, and US Jack uses the best quality metal and iron within their products to make sure durability and longevity. Although these come on the higher end of the price range, you can rest assured that every stand is tested before they go out.
- Made 100% in america
- Includes a double lock program
- Stamped hip and legs are kept with a perimeter band
- Includes ductile iron load articles
- More costly than others
- Painted with enamel color
9. Craftsman 4 Ton
Baked Enamel Layer
Steel’s biggest enemy is normally rust. If not correctly maintained, rust can develop and begin to corrode, stripping aside the metal’s strength. In order to avoid this issue, Craftsman uses a baked on enamel covering that protects the steel and means that the jack stands remains strong and durable for several years to come.
Adjusting the elevation of your jack stands hasn’t been much easier with Craftsman’s unique elevation adjustment mechanism which uses counterweighted pawls for smooth movement and automatic locking to avoid slippage.
Cost and Value
Craftsman is certainly a brand that’s trusted by specialists all around the nation and continues to live up to their reputation with these four ton jack stands. The solid stamped steel construction meets all the latest standards set by ANSI/PALD.
- Pawl lock add extra protection
- Made of alloy stamped metal
- Baked on enamel
- Saddle made to increase traction
- Some problems about the paint work
- Only lifts up to 18 inches
10. TONDA 2 TON
Dual Purpose Handle
The thing about these devices is that you by no means know when you will have to use them. That’s why portability is usually such an important factor. Tonda’s 2 ton stands features handles that were specially designed to act as a saddle column lock and offer easy portability.
When you’re functioning under a car that weighs a lot of money, you want to be sure that it is properly supported. Tonda built these with rust resistant, cast iron support arms that feature oversized saddles that provide extra contact with the automobile for increase balance.
Cost and Worth
This heavy-duty product includes a welded metal body, solid cast iron arms, and a rust resistant finish that raises its tool life. They also meet all the requirements arranged by ANSI/ASME PALD 2014.
- Rust resistant end
- Features cast iron arms
- Multi-purpose handles
- Oversized saddles
- Some issues about the welding
- Not manufactured in the USA
Each year people get wounded, or even die, while focusing on their vehicle since they were not really using the correct safety tools. Jack stands are simple tools, but effective and necessary ones. They are a must-have for anyone who works with vehicles, but they can also be used for jobs in building and farming. The merchandise reviewed above are among the better that you could find, and each gives their own benefits. Find one that best match your projects needs and always work safe!
Criteria Used in Evaluation
The main reason for these works with is to properly support your automobile while you focus on it. Since which means that it will possess to hold a lot of money for an unspecified period of time, it requires to be made of a material that can withstand this type of pressure. Unlike the stands from the past, which were made from inferior materials that were not tested, today’s options are usually made from steel, iron, aluminium, or a combination. Each has their advantages:
- Aluminum – This is the lightest metal of the three and ideal if you-re looking for portability. Lightweight aluminum also has the benefit of getting corrosion resistant.
- Steel – Metal is an extremely durable metal and can be very reasonable. Most stands available are constructed with this metal.
- Iron – Iron may be the strongest of the three, nonetheless it can be the heaviest & most expensive.
Since its only job is to support a heavy load, knowing its load capacity is essential. Not all choices can take the same quantity of weight, which means you need to consider the types of automobiles or jobs you’ll be using it for. Load capability can vary from half of a ton (1000 pounds) up to 25 tons (50,000 pounds). It’s recommended that you get one that has a higher weight capacity than the vehicle you will be using it for.
There are a wide variety of different types, with each providing particular advantages and disadvantages. For the most part, they are either tower formed or tripod formed and have heights ranging from 11 inches all the way up to six ft. Other styles of stands consist of:
- Fixed elevation – Fixed height stands which have no shifting parts, meaning that they can’t end up being adapt to different heights. The benefit to the is that you do not have to worry in regards to a mechanical failure that causes the support arms to fall. These types are ideal for using in one place, like your garage or other work environments where the setting will be the same.
- Adjustable Elevation – Adjustable elevation stands are excellent for portability being that they are more small and can be used for uneven surfaces. They either make use of a ratchet program or a pin lock system to adjust and secure at the desired height.
The purpose of a stand is to not only safely support your lifted vehicle, but to also permit you to work easily while underneath. The lift elevation identifies the maximum elevation it could safely support your automobile. It’s important to understand this because not all stands have the same lift height. You’ll want to ensure that you have lots of clearance space beneath the vehicle so that you can easily suit under and work. As well tight of a squeeze isn’t only inconvenient, nonetheless it can cause exhaustion and make it harder to total your job.
Adjustable stands uses a lock mechanism that allows them to stay set at the desired height, but not all have the same lock design.
- Ratchet Lock – Ratchet lock is definitely a mechanical device which uses a pawl to allow linear movement while preventing the helping arm from shifting back in the contrary path by engaging with one’s teeth. Many tripod shaped stands utilize this type of lock style, which is great if you want precise elevation adjustment. The height could be adjusted at little increments and gives you placement the stand underneath various areas of your vehicle.
- Pin Lock – Pin type stands runs on the locking pin that’s inserted through the top base and the adjustable tube at predetermined slots. This type of locking system is very reliable and sturdy. It also makes removing it easy as you only want to lift your automobile high enough to consider the pressure off so that you can take away the pin and launch the support arm. The issue with pin locks can be that the elevation increments are predetermined and sometime they can be far apart. Too much pressure can also bend the pin and make it difficult to remove.
Ease of Use
As an emergency tool, your stands need to be versatile and easy to use. Not everyone is an experienced mechanic, and even if you are, an easy to use device just make your life that much much easier. Search for models with great testimonials and easy to check out instructions. Sometimes a huge amount of extra features is simply not needed for a straightforward tool such as this.
Q: When may be the best time to make use of these?
Every time you plan on jacking up your vehicle you should use stands. Even if you don’t plan on getting underneath, if your vehicle slips and falls or your device fails, you can still get harmed or cause damage to the car. Now, if you do plan on getting under your vehicle, then it’s vital that you make use of stands every time, regardless of how short of an interval you plan on getting there.
Q: I’ve a pretty good flooring jack, perform I still have to use stands?
Jacks are created to lift vehicles, not support them. They have many moving parts, which increases the chances of something going wrong. Their parts can also wear as time passes, causing failing, and hydraulic systems have already been recognized to leak. Another advantage of using the unit is which you have even more than just one single point of get in touch with. The more factors of get in touch with you have together with your vehicle the better the overall stability.
Q: I’m looking for a pair of stands, what should I be looking for?
That mostly depends on your needs. For example, one of the first items you want to look for in stands may be the material used because of its construction. Aluminum is ideal for portability and helping lighter vehicles like vehicles, sedans and smaller sized trucks. While metal and iron are excellent ideal for professional configurations and heavy-duty careers. A stand that’s composed from one little bit of metal can be a big plus as this provides for more durability. Additional factors you have to take into considerations are lift height, load capacity, and ease of use.
Q: How do I properly use these?
This is a very important question because although they look simple enough to use, you need to take all of the proper safety measures and follow all of the steps to make sure maximum safety.
- The very first thing you have to do is recreation area you automobile on a set, hard surface that’s free from debris and essential oil. This will ensure that your stand has good contact with the ground. Jacking your car up on soft or uneven ground can lead to accidents and slips and cause serious or fatal injuries.
- Ensure that your car is parked and that the parking break is completely engaged.
- You need to block your steering wheel from moving through the use of wheel chocks, that may stop your car from rolling while lifting it up or focusing on it. Place the steering wheel chokes on both sides of all tires that will stick to the ground. That is a very important step that many people skip, especially if you are lifting on the back side of your car since that’s usually where the park breaks are located.
- Before using the deviceyou need to make sure that it is working properly by testing it initial. Use the hands and foot to find if it lifts and releases correctly. This would also be considered a good time to check your stands aswell so you’re not really lifting your automobile for no reason. Be sure the handles and fasten is working just how it should.
- For maximum stability, you will want to use one stand for every wheel that will be off the ground. You usually want your vehicle to have four points of contacts to the bottom.
- Make reference to the vehicle’s owner’s manual to get the jack points. They are reinforced areas which were designed to contain the weight of your automobile. If you don’t possess an owner’s manual, you can usually do an on-line search. Not using the proper points can be dangerous and also damage your car.
- Be sure that the weight capability of the jack and stand is normally plenty of to lift and support your automobile.
- Place it under the jack point and lift your vehicle to a height that allows you to comfortably work and accomplish your job.
- Adjust them to the desired height and place beneath the suggested factors corresponding to the lifted steering wheel. Ensure that the areas of the stands and automobile are clean, smooth, and solid.
- Slowly launch the jack until your vehicle is resting on the stands
- Use your hands to ensure that the stands are secure and steady. You should also shake your vehicle to check for stability.
- Once you have finished your task, place the jack back again beneath the point and somewhat lift your automobile until it can be no more resting on the stands and remove them.